Spiced Purple Power Bowl with California Prunes
Recipe developed by Patricia Bannan, MS, RDN
Makes: Serves: 4Prep Time: 20 minutesCook Time: 40 minutes
- Purple Power Bowl
- 1 head purple cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 8 purple fingerling potatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup dry green lentils
- 1 red beet, shredded
- 2 cups purple kale leaves, chopped
- 16 California prunes, halved
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
- Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 California prunes
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Spread the cauliflower florets, purple potatoes, and sliced onions out over a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Season with salt and black pepper and roast in the oven for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender and golden brown on the edges.
- Meanwhile, cover the lentils with 3 cups water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook gently until soft, about 20 minutes. Drain the excess cooking liquid and set aside.
- In a blender, combine the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, 4 whole prunes, salt, and pepper and blend until smooth and creamy. Thin with a ¼ cup water to loosen consistency if dressing is too thick. Transfer vinaigrette to a bowl and set aside.
- Divide ingredients into four serving bowls. To each bowl add a serving of the lentils, roasted cauliflower, potatoes, and onions and arrange some chopped kale, beet slices, and California Prunes around the bowl. Drizzle the vinaigrette over each bowl. Garnish with coriander and enjoy!