California Prune, Orange and Cranberry Mincemeat Tart
Chef Peter Sidwell’s twist on a traditional mince pie using California Prunes, oranges and cranberries to bring a rich, tangy nuance to complement the sweetness of mincemeat
Makes: 6-8Prep Time: 20 minutes + 30 minutes chilling timeCook Time: 25-30 minutes
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C.
- Pour the flour, malted milk powder and icing sugar into a mixing bowl and blend together.
- Add the butter and use your finger tips to rub into the flour to create a crumble type texture.
- Add the ice cold water a little at a time and mix together until you form a soft dough.
- Transfer the pastry to a clean lightly floured work surface and knead for 30 seconds.
- Wrap the pastry in cling film and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll out the pastry and line a 15cm loose bottomed pie tin and trim the edges.
- Mix the chopped California Prunes, brandy (or orange juice), candied orange peel, mincemeat and cranberry sauce together in a bowl until well-combined.
- Spoon into the pastry case and level.
- Roll out the remaining pastry trimmings and cut out some stars and moons and place on top of the filling.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg, then bake for 25-30 minutes at 170°C.
- Allow to cool a little, then sprinkle lightly with icing sugar and serve with good quality vanilla ice cream.