Irish Porter Cake with California Prunes
Makes: 10Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 175g butter or margarine
- 300g mixed dried fruit
- 150g California Prunes, roughly chopped
- 250ml Guiness
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 orange - juice & zest only
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300g plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Place the butter, half the sugar, the dried fruit, the California Prunes and beer in a large pan on a medium heat.
- Add the mixed spice, orange zest and juice, I also add the orange halves in while the mixture is cooking to give it a bit more flavour, but remove them before you add the bicarbonate of soda.
- Meanwhile use an electric whisk to mix the eggs and remaining sugar until the mixture has doubled in size and has become really light and fluffy.
- When the pan ingredients have come to the boil, add the bicarbonate of soda and watch it fizz.
- Remove the pan from the heat: as the mixture cools it will catch all the air the bicarb has created. From this point onwards you need to work quickly to get the cake into the oven.
- Pour in the egg mixture and sift in the plain flour. Mix it all together with a spoon and put into a 20 x 20cm (8 x 8in) cake tin and bake in the oven for 45 minutes until firm to the touch and it springs back.