Fruity Pilaf with California Prunes and Chicken Skewers
Makes: 4Prep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 20 minutes
- For the Chicken Skewers:
- 2 large free-range chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 100ml natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- ½tsp chilli powder
- 1 juice of 1 lemon
- 4 metal skewers, at least 8 inches long
- For the Rice Pilaf:
- large knob butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 120g brown basmati rice
- 500ml warm chicken stock
- 6 California Prunes, chopped
- large handful chopped Pistachio nuts
- 2tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- First prepare the chicken skewers. Mix together the yoghurt, turmeric, chilli powder and lemon juice.
- Skewer ¼ of the chicken pieces onto each skewer, then place in a wide dish and cover with the marinade. Leave to one side while you prepare the rice.
- In a large heavy-based pan, melt the butter over the low heat, add the onion, stir well, and leave to sautee until soft – about 5 minutes. Add the ground coriander, ground cumin and cumin seeds, and stir well for a moment to avoid sticking.
- Add the rice, mix thoroughly with the onion mixture, and leave for half a minute before adding the stock.
- Stir well, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover with a tight-fitting lid (otherwise place a sheet of foil over the top of the pot and secure the lid down on this – this will give you a snug-fitting lid).
- Leave to cook over the heat for 10 minutes, check to see if it needs more liquid, if it does add water, and then give it a further 5 minutes to sit, covered.
- While the rice is cooking, turn your grill up to high, place the chicken skewers underneath, discarding any excess marinade.
- Turn the skewers every 2 minutes or so, so that each side of the chicken cubes are evenly cooked through. When cooked, remove from the grill and set to one side.
- Remove the lid from the rice, and quickly fluff up the rice with a fork. Wait a moment for the steam to escape, then add the California Prunes, pistachio nuts and fresh herbs, and mix through well.
- Spoon the rice into a large, wide serving bowl and place the chicken skewers on top. Eat immediately. Serve with a crisp green salad.