California Prune & Indian Spiced Brown Rice
Provided by: Dietitian Debbie Dishes for the California Prune Board
Makes: 5Prep Time: 20 minutesCook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup raw or dry roasted cashews
- ½ chopped onion
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- 1½ teaspoons Muchi curry powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 85g chopped California Prunes
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- To serve: garnish with fresh cilantro (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil and add the cashews.
- Roast for 2-3 minutes or until the cashews just begin to lightly brown.
- Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, melt the other 1 tablespoon coconut oil and add the onion. Stir and cook until translucent, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, curry powder and masala. Cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the brown rice and stir. Cook for 2 minutes to lightly brown the rice.
- Add the broth and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and continue to simmer for about 20 minutes or until the broth is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the cashews and California Prunes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.