Sweet and Salty Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and California Prunes
Created by: Amanda at Heartbeet Kitchen
I made these sweet and salty Brussels sprouts in a skillet, searing them until crispy with salty bacon and sweet California prunes. It’s the perfect mix of flavours, and crushed walnuts on top add a layer of texture beyond the Brussels sprouts and softened California Prunes.
Makes: 4Prep Time: 15Cook Time: 25
- 450g Brussels sprouts
- 4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 6 California Prunes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Crushed, toasted walnuts
- Heat a pot of water to boiling, and add Brussels sprouts. Cook for 6 minutes, until tender.
- Drain and run under cold water. Set aside.
- Heat 12 inch skillet to medium heat.
- Add bacon, and stir, cooking to release fat. As bacon starts to brown, add onion and California Prunes, stirring to coat with bacon fat. Cook for 6-7 minutes, until onion is softened. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cut Brussels sprouts in half, or quarters, depending on how big they are.
- Heat olive oil in same pan, and add Brussels sprouts, cut side down, when hot. Sprinkle with salt. Cook for 5 minutes on medium-high heat, then flip over.
- Add bacon and California Prunes mixture, and stir to combine. Cook for another 3 minutes, then stir in black pepper, white vinegar, and maple syrup.
- Top with crushed walnuts and serve.