This recipe from Italian influencer Teresa Balzano proves that you can have your cake and eat it! With reduced sugar and fat, and no eggs, this light, fluffy cake won’t make you feel guilty for having a second slice…or a third one!
Makes: 4Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 15 minutes refrigerationCook Time: 50 minutes
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and prepare a 24cm round spring form cake tin with oil and a dusting of flour.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl, then add the lemon zest and sugar.
- Add the liquid ingredients and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and refrigerate for 15 minutes. This will stop the California Prunes sinking to the bottom during baking.
- Remove the cake tin from the fridge and place the California Prunes evenly across the surface of the mixture, then sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 50 minutes. The cake is cooked when a tooth pick comes out cleanly.
- Cool for 2 minutes, then remove the cake from the tin, cut and serve immediately.