Star Anise Ice Cream with Poached Fruit
Ice cream comes in a lot more than 32 flavours–try this star anise-infused version for something really different. Topped with poached California Prunes and pears, it will make you forget all about plain old vanilla!
Makes: 10Prep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes + refrigeration time
- Star Anise Ice Cream:
- 460g whipping cream
- 475 ml milk
- 150g cup sugar
- 9 whole star anise pods
- 6 whole cloves
- 9 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Poached Fruit:
- 300 ml port wine
- 475ml water
- 134g granulated sugar
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 12 whole cloves, tied in cheesecloth
- 2 medium Bosc pears, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
- 175g pitted California Prunes
1. In a heavy medium saucepan, combine cream, milk, sugar, star anise and cloves; heat to a simmer over medium heat.
2. Remove from heat; let stand for 1 hour.
3. Pour through strainer to remove star anise and cloves; return cream mixture to pan. Heat until hot.
4. In medium bowl, whisk egg yolks to blend. Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture; return to pan.
5. Cook over medium heat until mixture coats the back of a spoon or reaches 76ºC, stirring constantly. (Do not boil).
6. Pour through strainer into clean bowl; stir in vanilla. Cover; refrigerate for 3 hours or until cold.
7. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.
8. In medium saucepan, combine port, water, sugar, cinnamon sticks and cloves; bring to a boil.
9. Add pears and Prunes. Return to a boil; reduce heat.
10. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until pears are tender.
11.Using slotted spoon, remove fruit from pan; set aside.
12. Bring remaining liquid to a boil; cook until mixture is reduced to 356 ml.
13. Remove and discard cinnamon and cloves.
14. Return fruit to pan; heat through.
15. Serve over ice cream.
|PERCENTAGE CALORIES FROM FAT||49|