Spicy California Prune Marinara with Butternut Squash Noodles
Provided by the Zen & Spice for the California Prune Board.
Grand Prize Winner, No Bones About it Recipe Redux Contest
Makes: 2Prep Time: 10minCook Time: 15min
- 1 large butternut squash, spiralized
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup California Prunes
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 225g tomato sauce
- 280g diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Optional garnish: goat cheese, bacon slices, parsley
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Toss the butternut squash noodles with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and spread out on a baking pan. Roast for 10-15 minutes, until squash is al dente.
- Meanwhile, purée the California Prunes in a food processor with 1 tablespoon of water until smooth.
- Heat the other teaspoon of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes.
- Add the oregano, onion powder, salt, red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar and puréed California Prunes.
- Stir and cook through for about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the noodles from the oven and divide onto two plates. Pour the sauce over both dishes and serve!
- Optional garnish: crumbled goat cheese, bacon and chopped fresh parsley.