Rosemary, Prosciutto and Prune Focaccia
Chef Kyle added classic Mediterranean toppings to this focaccia. Prosciutto, feta, cherry tomatoes and prunes give this dish sweet and savory appeal, while fennel, rosemary and garlic add an irresistible herbal aroma.
Makes: 4Prep Time: 30 mins + 1h 15 min rising timeCook Time: 25 minutes
- 1.5 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp honey
- 235 ml warm water
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 60 ml olive oil
- 75 g feta crumbled
- 2 slices prosciutto cut in ribbons
- 1 sprig rosemary lightly chopped
- 175 g California Prunes lightly chopped
- 75 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 35 g roasted garlic lightly chopped
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds soaked in 1/4 cup water
- In a medium bowl, stir yeast and honey into the warm water and let stand for 10 minutes or until it starts to softly foam.
- Add half of the olive oil and fennel seeds (along with soaking liquid).
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Slowly stream the liquids into the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- Mix until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl (start with 2 1/2 cups of flour and adjust up to 3 cups as needed).
- Gently knead until smooth.
- Place dough in a well-oiled bowl and cover surface of dough with more olive oil.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and store in a warm place (such as the inside of an unheated oven with the light on).
- Let rise for an hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Gently press the dough into a well-oiled 12-inch cast iron skillet stretching as you press it. Using your fingertips, dimple the dough and top with the feta, half of the rosemary, prosciutto, prunes and half of the garlic throughout the dough. Use your fingers to gently press ingredients into the dough.
- Lightly cover the pan and allow to rest for 15 minutes. It will rise some more.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230C).
- Drizzle the dough generously with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and cherry tomatoes.
- Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden. Reduce oven to 425°F (220C).
- Top focaccia with remaining rosemary and garlic and bake for 5 more minutes.