California Prune Preserve
“Many years ago I used to make this preserve regularly, however the recipe went missing…
Recently, looking through some old cookbooks I found the faded, handwritten recipe.
I didn’t want to lose it again so I am putting here for everyone to try it – with a California Prune twist!”
To read more of Heidi’s great content and delicious recipes, why not check out her website here Kitchen Talk and Travels – Eat well – travel often
Prep Time: 24 hours Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
- 500g California Prunes
- 250g dried dates
- 1kg sugar
- 1l water
- 1 lemon - grated rind and juice
- 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 30g chopped almonds optional
1. Soak the California Prunes and dates in water for 24 hours.
2. Cut into small pieces.
3. Boil for 30 minutes or until soft.
4. Gradually add the sugar.
5. When dissolved add the cinnamon, grated lemon rind, lemon juice and chopped
almonds (if using).
6. Boil until setting point is reached (104° on a jam thermometer or when a spoonful on a
cold plate leaves a trail when you drag your finger through).
7. Put into warm sterilized jars and cover with jam pot seals and covers.
8. The jam will set as it cools however it will always be a soft set.