Pork and California Prune Meatballs cooked in Spiced Tomato Ragu (Tapas)
Makes: 4Prep Time: 30 minutesCook Time: 40 minutes
- For the meatballs:
- 250g Cumberland sausage meat
- 100g California Prunes, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 handful coriander (stalks included)
- For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 red chilli
- 410g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 50g roasted almonds, chopped
- Place the sausage meat into a mixing bowl, and add in the chopped California Prunes, spices and fresh coriander.
- Mix together and shape into small meatballs (the best way to do this is with wet hands then you won’t get all sticky). Place the meat balls onto a plate and leave them to chill in the fridge.
- To make the sauce, place the oil, chopped onions, garlic and red peppers into a large pan.
- Add the salt, chilli and paprika and cook for 10 minutes to soften and bring out all the flavours.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and red wine, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir the sauce before adding the raw meatballs. When all the meatballs are in the sauce, turn the heat down to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid for 10 minutes to allow the meatballs to cook through fully.
- To finish sprinkle with chopped flat leaf parsley and roasted almonds.