North African Meatballs with California Prunes and Pine Nuts
These meatballs, served with a rich California Prune and pine nut gravy, were inspired by the flavours of North Africa. Serve them over orzo, rice, or couscous for an extra special weeknight dinner.
Makes: 12 meatballsPrep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 25 minutes
- 225g lean minced beef
- 225g lean minced pork
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 10 California Prunes, quartered
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/8 cup pine nuts
- 1 handful chopped parsley
- Optional: plain greek yoghurt and lemon wedges for serving
- Combine the beef, pork, egg, breadcrumbs, 1 clove garlic, 1/2 the onion, and Italian seasoning in a large bowl. Use your hands to mix everything together, taking care not to overwork the meat. Divide into 12 rounds.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining onion and garlic to the skillet and cook 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Stir in the wine, if using, and cook until nearly all evaporated, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Whisk in the chicken broth and lemon juice. Add the meatballs and California Prunes and bring to a simmer. Cook 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked through and the sauce is reduced.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the pine nuts and sprinkle with parsley. If desired, serve with yogurt and lemon wedges.
If you prefer, you can use 454g of beef instead of half beef and half pork.
For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free bread crumbs and serve over rice.