Moist and Fudgy Brownies with California Prunes
Looking for a healthy dessert recipe using Prunes? California Prune purée can make your favourite baked treats healthier, by adding moisture while decreasing the amount of sugar and fat in a standard brownie recipe. And the scrumptious flavour of California Prunes is truly indulgent!
Makes: 16Prep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking spray
- 230g semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup California Prune purée
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 165ºC.
- Spray an 8- X 8-inch baking pan with cooking spray, line with parchment paper (leaving the paper overhanging on 2 sides) and then spray paper with cooking spray.
- In large heatproof bowl, melt the chocolate and oil over simmering water.
- Whisk in sugar and California Prune purée until mixed.
- Whisk in eggs and vanilla.
- Fold in flour and salt until just blended, then fold in walnuts.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the brownies comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Cut into 16 equal squares.