Low Sugar California Prune Cake
Makes: 6Prep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- 650g California Prunes
- 750g evaporated milk
- 280g butter
- 140g plain flour
- 140g wholemeal flour
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tbsp (heaped) chunky low sugar marmalade
- Line a 20cm square cake tin base and side lined with baking parchment, with extra to cover top
- Place California Prunes in a large pan, add Evaporated milk and butter. Bring everything to the boil stirring frequently to stop it sticking.
- When boiling turn down heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Let California Prune mixture cool for approx. 30 minutes.
- Sift flours and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl (add bran from wholemeal flour after sieving) preheat oven to 170°C.
- Add California Prune mixture to flour mix with a large spoon, add marmalade and mix.
- Spoon mixture into lined tin and cover with double square of baking parchment with a hole in the centre (about the size of a ten pence) bake for 2 to 2 hours 15 minutes.
- When baked remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes, transfer to rack.
For the Optional Glaze:
Heat marmalade and water, sieve, brush the glaze over completely cold cake