Jamaican Style Ginger and Prune Loaf
Sweet, delicious and with reduced sugar – how can you possibly say no to this tasty loaf? This treat provides us with plenty of vitamins, and as such, is a perfect option for a chilly wintery day.
Makes: 4-6Prep Time: 10-15 minutesCook Time: 45 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C
2. Sift the flour, bicarb and spices into a large bowl.
3. Measure the black treacle, California Prunes, sugar and butter into a
saucepan, heat and gently stir until thoroughly melted and blended (Don’t let it
come anywhere near the boil and don’t go off and leave it!)
4. Using a potato masher, squash the mixture and break up the California
5. Next add the syrup mixture to the flour and spices, beating vigorously with a
wooden spoon, and when the mixture is smooth, beat in the egg a little at a
time, followed by the milk.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake on a lower shelf so that
the top of the tin is aligned with the centre of the oven for 45 minutes or until
it’s well-risen and firm to the touch.
7. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before