Gourmet Hot Dogs
Makes: 4Prep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 30 minutes
- 4 good quality sausages
- 4 hot dog rolls
- 2 medium red onions
- 1 red chilli
- 1/2 tsp salt
- To taste freshly ground pepper
- 120g California Prunes
- 150ml California Prune Juice
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan oven), 200°C conventional oven.
- Preheat a grill pan, then brush the sausages with a little vegetable oil.
- Place the sausages on the grill and cook until golden on all sides, then transfer to the oven to finish cooking.
- Meanwhile finely chop the red onions and place in a non-stick pan with a splash of oil and start to cook.
- Finely chop the red chilli and add to the pan with the onions.
- Season with a little salt and pepper to help draw out the moisture from the onions.
- Chop and add the California Prunes to the pan.
- Add the California Prune Juice and star anise, then simmer for 15 minutes until the mixture has reduced and become thick and sticky.
- Carefully taste the chutney as it will be hot and adjust the flavour with a teaspoon of honey if required.
- Remove the sausages from the oven and serve in the rolls with plenty of the chutney.
The chutney will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, so nothing goes to waste.