Gluten Free Chocolate & California Prune Cake
Provided by: Wholify for the California Prune Board.
Makes: 24Prep Time: 50 minutes Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
- 3/4 cup California Prunes, pitted
- 1 cut buttermilk or buttermilk substitute
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup natural cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup oil (melted coconut oil recommended)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 175°C and grease two 23 cm cake pans.
- Pit California Prunes then soak in boiling water for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer or a large bowl with a hand mixer, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt on low speed.
- In a blender, add California Prunes, buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla. Blend until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and whisk on medium speed until well combined.
- Divide batter between the two cake pans and smooth using a spatula.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, rotating halfway through, or until a toothpick inserted near centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
- Serve with whipped coconut cream.