Eggless California Prune Pistachio Scones
By Oriana Romero | Mommy’s Home Cooking
These Eggless Prune-Pistachio Scones are über buttery and flaky! Made from scratch with California Prunes and pistachios, these scones make a delightful sweet treat for any occasion. They will be a big hit every time you make them.
Makes: 12Prep Time: 25Cook Time: 20
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp and 1 tspn baking powder
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup double cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- 1 cup California Prunes
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- Preheat oven to 190ºC. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the cold diced butter and using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate small bowl whisk with a fork the double cream, buttermilk and vanilla until combined.
- Create a small well in the centre of the flour mixture. Pour the cream mixture into the well and stir with a fork until the dough comes together. Toss in the California Prunes and pistachios and mix gently to incorporate.
- Form the scones: Using a large ice cream scoop or spoon, dollop the scone dough in 1/3-cupfuls onto a prepared baking sheet. You can also roll dough into a circle, about 2cm thick and use a round cookie or biscuit cutter to cut out about 12 scones, reshaping the dough as needed and using scraps to form new rounds of dough.
- For best texture and highest rise, place the pan of scones in the freezer for 15-30 minutes, uncovered.
- Brush the scones with heavy cream and bake for about 18 to 20 minutes or until risen and golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool down completely on a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar, if desired. Serve.