Chocolate, California Prune and Banana Bread
Makes: 16Prep Time: 20 minutesCook Time: 1 hour
- 225ml low fat yoghurt
- 100g melted butter
- 250g peeled bananas
- 100g chopped California Prunes
- 75g dark chocolate chunks
- 1 lime
- 2 medium eggs
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 50g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- Place the yoghurt into a bowl and stir in the bicarbonate of soda, leave the bowl for five minutes to allow the bicarb to react and fizz.
- Meanwhile peel and chop the bananas and place in a bowl with the zest of the lime and the juice of half the lime. Using a folk mash up the bananas a little, just to break them down.
- Take another bowl and crack 2 eggs into it, add the sugar and cinnamon and whisk together to combine. Place the seeds onto a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 160°C, this helps them to crisp up and stay crunchy in the cake.
- Add the baked seeds, chopped California Prunes and chocolate chips.
- The trick now for this recipe is to combine all the ingredients without over mixing the cake batter, so add the egg mixture to the yoghurt, followed by the crushed bananas, the melted butter then add the flour.
- Using a metal spoon fold the mixture in one direction and turn the bowl in the other direction so you get maximum folding without over working the mixture.
- Pour the cake mixture into a 2lb loaf tin lined with baking parchment paper.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 1 hour at 180°C.