Chicken Tacos with California Prunes Salsa
This twist on classic chicken tacos explodes with sweet and savoury flavours! Chilli powder and cumin add a savoury warmth to the baked chicken breasts, while California Prunes add sweetness to an easy, fresh salsa. The combination of spiced chicken, sweet California Prunes, fresh tomatoes and coriander, and zing from lime juice all wrapped up in a tortilla creates a fiesta with every bite! The refried black beans also got a healthy upgrade: we cut back on the fat whilst bumping up the flavour with spices, fresh coriander and lime juice for a flavourful side dish that’s low in fat and high in protein and fibre. This dinner is hearty and filling, yet light enough to feel good about serving any night of the week.
Makes: 4Prep Time: 30 minutesCook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 roasted mild green chilli
- 100g black beans
- 1 Roma tomato
- 60g California Prunes
- 2 shallots
- 10g fresh coriander
- 1 lime
- 2 chicken breasts (120g)
- 2 tsp cumin spice blend (equal parts cumin & Chilli powder)
- 60g roasted sweetcorn
- 4 corn tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Line a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Thinly slice the poblano and set aside.
- Drain and rinse the black beans.
- Cut the California Prunes into 1 cm pieces. Place the California Prunes in a small bowl.
- Cut the tomato and shallots into 1 cm pieces. Add HALF of tomato and shallots to the bowl with the California Prunes; reserve the remaining shallot and tomatoes.
- Remove and discard the stems from coriander, rough chop leaves and add only HALF to the bowl.
- Cut the lime in half. Squeeze HALF the lime into the small bowl. Add ¼ teaspoon of salt and a pinch of pepper. Toss well and set aside. Set aside remaining lime.
- Pat dry chicken with paper towels. Add to a medium bowl.
- Add ONLY 1 teaspoon cumin spice blend, ½ teaspoon olive oil, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Toss well and place the chicken on the prepared sheet pan.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until cooked through.
Heat a small non-stick sauté pan, over medium-high heat.
- Spray with cooking spray, add the mild green chilli and roasted sweetcorn and season with a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Sauté for 2 minutes until warmed through. Set aside for plating
- Heat a medium nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the tortillas one at a time and heat for 1 minute on each side. Set aside and keep warm for plating.
- In the same pan over medium-high heat, spray lightly with olive oil in a spray bottle. When hot, add remaining shallot and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until softened.
- Add the drained black beans and remaining cumin spice blend. Cook for an additional 1 minute.
Reduce heat to medium-low, add 2 tablespoons of water and lightly mash beans with a fork.
- Cook until the water has been evaporated then add remaining chopped tomato.
- Add remaining coriander, juice from the remaining lime, to the beans. Stir to combine, season to taste, and keep warm for serving.
- Cut the chicken into 1 cm pieces.
- Place two tortillas each on two plates.
- Divide the chicken and green chilli and sweetcorn mixture between the tortillas.
- Top with the California Prune salsa and serve the tacos with refried beans on the side.