Makes: 15 squaresPrep Time: 50 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes
- For the base:
- 250g butter
- 125g sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 375g plain flour
- Zest of one orange
- For the Cailfornia Prunes filling:
- 300ml California Prune Juice
- 300g California Prunes
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 30g creme fraiche
- 20g icing sugar
- For the topping:
- 300g dark chocolate
- 50g butter
- To make the shortbread, mix together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the egg yolk and the vanilla extract. Add in the orange zest and flour before slowly mixing together to form a soft dough.
- Press the shortbread mixture into a baking tray (25cm x 35cm) lined with baking parchment. Bake the shortbread in a pre heated oven 160°C for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile place the California Prunes, California Prune juice and icing sugar into a pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Carefully pour the California Prune mixture into a blender, add in the creme fraiche and blend until smooth.
- Spread the mixture over the cooked shortbread evenly and leave to cool.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a mixing bowl over a pan of simmering water. Pour the mixture straight over the shortbread. Using a palette knife spread the chocolate evenly and leave to set.
- After 20 minutes at room temperature use a small kitchen knife and cut into 15 portions 3 across the top and 5 down the side, making sure you clean the knife each time you slice so it does not drag the chocolate and you are left with a nice clean cut.