California Prune, Fennel Seed and Sage Sausage Rolls
Makes: 12 Prep Time: 15-20 minutesCook Time: 15 minutes
- 250g packet of puff pastry
- 500g Cumberland sausages
- 150g chopped California Prunes
- 1 peeled and finely diced apple
- 4 sage leaves
- 1/2 nutmeg, grated
- 1 large egg, lightly whisked
- 1tsp fennel seeds
- Cut the block of puff pastry in half and roll each half into a long rectangle, about 40cm x 10cm (16in x 4in) and about 1⁄2cm (1⁄4in) thick.
- Cut the sausage meat out of the skins and place in a mixing bowl. Add the chopped California Prunes, apple, sage and nutmeg, then mix together.
- Transfer the sausage mix onto a clean work surface and dust with a little flour. Shape the sausage mix into long sausage, then roll in a little flour.
- Lay the rolled sausage meat in the centre of the puff pastry.
- Brush the beaten egg along one long side of the puff pastry, then roll up and seal the edge.
- Cut the sausage rolls into portions and place them on a non- stick baking tray.
- Brush all over with the remaining beaten egg, and sprinkle with fennel seeds.
- Bake in a pre heated oven 180°C for 15 minutes until golden brown.
Serving suggestion: Try adding a little Sichuan California Prune Chutney – you can find instructions here