California Prune and Chocolate Macaroons
Makes: 25Prep Time: 20 minCook Time: 10-13 min
- 180g icing sugar
- 180g ground almonds
- 180g caster sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 3 tbsp water
- Drop of lemon juice
- 20 California Prunes
- 100g good quality dark chocolate
- Purple food colouring
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Mix the icing sugar, almonds and 2 of the egg whites into a paste.
- In a small pan bring the caster sugar and water to a boil.
- Whisk the remaining 2 egg whites on medium to high speed to a stiff peak. Once the sugar and water mixture has boiled and become syrupy add this to the egg whites – add food colouring at this stage until you have the desired colour.
- Whisk on a high speed for 1- 2 minutes.
- Gently fold this into the paste mixture and put into a piping bag.
- Line 2 large trays with greaseproof paper and pipe small circles of the mixture – try to make them similar in size.
- Bake in the oven for 10-13 minutes until cooked then remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Melt the chocolate on a bain marie.
- Meanwhile in a food processor whizz up the California Prunes to form a paste.
- Combine the California Prune paste with the melted chocolate – allow to cool slightly.
- Once the macaroons and the paste have cooled, sandwich together 2 macaroons by piping the chocolate and Calilornia Prune ganache in the middle