California Prune, Amaretti and Citrus Tarts
Makes: 12Prep Time: 40 minutes plus chillingCook Time: 12-15 minutes
- 115g plain flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 30g caster sugar
- 80g unsalted butter, cold and diced
- 1 egg yolk
- ½-1tbsp cold water
- 100g California Prunes, finely chopped
- 15g chopped mixed peel
- 1tbsp orange juice
- 6 Amaretti biscuits, lightly crushed
- 6tsp lemon curd
- To make the pastry place the flour, almonds and sugar in a food processor and blitz briefly to mix.
- Add the butter and blitz again until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. While the machine is running gradually add the egg yolk and enough water to make the pastry come together.
- Wrap in greaseproof paper and leave to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/50/gas mark 5.
- Place the California Prunes and mixed peel in a bowl and sprinkle with the orange juice.
- Take the pastry out of the fridge and roll out until about 2mm thick. Cut 12 rounds and place these in a bun tin.
- With any remaining pastry cut little shapes to top the tarts.
- Divide the crushed Amaretti biscuits between the 12 pastry cases then top with the marinated California Prunes mixture, sprinkling any remaining orange juice over the top.
- Spoon 1/2 teaspoon of lemon curd over each tart and finish with the pastry shapes.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until the pastry is golden.
- Remove from the bun tin and cool on a cooling rack. Serve with a dollop of creme fraîche.