Butternut Squash and California Prune Salad
Makes: 4Prep Time: 50 mins
- 100g California prunes
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 purple sweet potato
- 25ml rapeseed oil
- 2 pink lady apples
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of spring onions, chopped
- 1 handful of coriander, chopped
- 1 handful of mint, chopped
- 1 pomegranate
- Chop the California Prunes into chunks and place in a bowl with the juice of 2 limes, this will allow the California Prunes to soak up the lime juice and become tangy making it perfect to cut through the squash and sweet potatoes.
- Peel and dice the butternut squash and sweet potatoes, drizzle with rapeseed oil and roast for 20-30 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile slice the red onion and soak in the juice of the remaining lime with the chopped red chilli and sliced garlic.
- When the potatoes and squash are cooked place in a mixing bowl with the pickled red onions and California Prunes.
- Core and dice the apples, then add to the bowl, followed by the spring onions and chopped herbs.
- Add the pomegranate seeds and mix together.
- The final touch is to roast some pumpkin seeds in a frying pan on a medium heat for 5 minutes until they start to crackle, then and only then add the maple syrup, before adding to the top of the salad for a nice crunch.
- An optional extra is to scatter over some pink pepper corns for a gentle warmth and zing!