Balsamic Roasted Beet and Prune Salad
In this delicious salad, the sweetness of balsamic vinegar complements tangy blue cheese and moist California Prunes. For convenience, roast the beets the day before, or use canned sliced beets.
Makes: 4Prep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 45-60 minutes
- 4 small yellow or red beets, trimmed
- 115 ml water
- 62 ml balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 160g mixed salad greens
- 8 pitted California Prunes, halved
- 41g crumbled blue cheese
- 38g unsalted shelled pistachios
1. Heat oven to 190ºC.
2. Place beets and water in small baking dish. Cover tightly with aluminium foil; bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until tender.
3. Cool slightly; peel skin off beets.
4. Cut each beet into 8 wedges; set aside.
5. In small bowl, combine vinegar, oil, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper.
6. In large bowl, combine mixed greens, prunes and beets.
7. Drizzle with vinaigrette; toss to coat.
8. Arrange salad evenly onto 4 salad plates.
9. Top each with cheese and pistachios.
Tip: One can of whole beets, drained and sliced, may be substituted for fresh beets.
|PERCENTAGE CALORIES FROM FAT||59|