Bavarian with California Prunes & Amaretti Wafer
Makes: 10Prep Time: 80 minutes
- For Bavarian
- 150g California Prunes
- 30ml rum
- 500ml whipping cream
- 200ml milk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 yolk
- 100g sugar
- 12g isinglass
- Bitter cocoa powder to taste
- For the crispy wafer
- 1 egg white
- 140g flour 00
- 80g macaroons
- 70g butter
- 40g brown sugar
1. Soften the California prunes, heating them in a saucepan with rum.
2. Blend them into a thick mash.
3. Prepare a custard:
4. Put the milk in a pot and bring to a boil.
5. Separately mix, with a manual whisk, the egg and the yolk with the sugar and, finally, add the cornstarch.
6. Pour the mixture into the pot with the milk and continue cooking without stirring. The dough of eggs, sugar and cornstarch will float over the milk. When the milk pierces the egg mixture, start stirring with the whisk until you have reached the desired consistency. All this, from when you pour the egg mixture over the milk to when the cream is ready, takes about half a minute.
7. Remove from heat and add the California Prune cream.
8. Soak the isinglass. Then dissolve it in a saucepan with 2-3 tablespoons of water. Add the custard to the California Prune and mix.
9. Let it cool by placing the bowl in a larger container filled with cold water and, when it is almost cold, add the previously whipped cream.
10. Pour into the mould or single-portion moulds, and let it rest in the fridge until the next day.
For the crispy wafer
1. Pour all the ingredients into a mixer. Blend until the mixture is uniform and compact.
2. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for an hour.
3. Roll out the dough on a sheet of parchment paper until it reaches a thickness of 3-4 millimetres. Obtain 12 diskettes with a diameter of 8-10 cm.
4. Bake in a hot ventilated oven at 170 °C for 8 – 10 minutes.
1. Unmould the Bavarian by putting the moulds in boiling water for a few seconds.
2. Place a Bavarian on each disc of crunchy.
3. Complete with bitter cocoa, decorate to taste and serve.