California Prune & Aubergine Towers
This inventive and tasty vegetarian dish is sure to add a new dimension to any mid-week lunchtime!
Makes: 2 (main) or 3 (light lunch)Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 1-2 hours chillingCook Time: 35-40 minutes
- 60g California Prune purée*
- 2 aubergines
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 2 balls of mozzarella
- 25g Parmesan (finely grated)
- 70g white breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs - beaten
- Plain flour to dust
- Olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Top and tail the aubergines and peel off the skin.
- Cut into 1cm rounds and place on a lined baking tray.
- Brush both sides with olive oil and season and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until soft.
- Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella into 1cm rounds and set aside.
- Once the aubergine is cooked and cooled, place 6 rounds of aubergine on a board.
- Place a slice of tomato on each, then a slice a mozzarella and top with a thin layer of California Prune purée . Then top with another round of aubergine, tomato, mozzarella and California Prune purée and finish off with another round of aubergine.
- Add toothpicks to the towers, then wrap each tower tightly with cling film and place in the fridge to cool for 1-2 hours.
- Once chilled, remove each tower from the cling film.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and parmesan together and place on a plate.
- Place the flour on another plate and the beaten eggs on another.
- Take each tower and gently dust each in flour, then the beaten egg then roll in the breadcrumbs so completely covered.
- Place the towers on a lined baking tray and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden. You could also fry the towers in vegetable oil if preferred.
- Serve with a salad.
* To make California Prune purée, blend 100g California Prunes with 6 tbsp boiling water in a liquidiser until puréed to your desired consistency.