Apple & California Prunes Pop Tarts
|In the world of American breakfast pastries, the pop tart – along with its cousins the toaster strudel and toaster pastry – is in a kid-friendly category all on its own. This Homemade Apple & California Prunes Pop Tart recipe brings a fresh flavour to the new day. Try it with your favourite homemade (or store-bought if you’re a bit short on time) buttery pastry – whatever you choose, we’re pretty sure you won’t go back to the boxed versions.
And you might not want to share with the kids, either!
Makes: 8Prep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 20 minutes
- For the jam:
- 340g California Prunes
- 200g caster sugar
- 720ml water
- 1 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 220g firm apples, peeled and diced
- To make the tarts:
- 2 blocks all butter (puff) pastry
- 240g California Prunes and apple jam
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 egg, whisked
- 200g icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp double cream
- 2 tbsp sugar sprinkles
To make the jam:
- Place three small plates in the freezer.
- Blend all the jam ingredients (except the apple) together using a blender or food processor.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and heat slowly over a medium heat, stirring frequently.
- If you have a sugar thermometer, when the temperature reaches 100°C, take a small spoonful of the jam and spread it. across one of the plates from the freezer to test its consistency. Don’t let the temperature go above 105°C.
- Reserve 2-3 tbsps of the jam in a small bowl, then add the apple to the saucepan, stirring to combine, then leave to cool.
To make the pop tarts:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C. Line a baking pan or sheet with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the jam with the cornflour.
- Flour a large work surface, and roll out the pastry blocks to create 2 x 9” (23cm) squares. Cut each square into 6 strips, re-roll and cut 2 more strips, so you should have 8 strips in total.
- Spoon 1-2 tbsp of the jam onto one end of each strip. Brush the edges of the pastry around the jam with the whisked egg, then fold the ‘un-jammed’ pastry over the jammy end and crimp all the way round the edges with a fork.
- Transfer the pop tarts to the baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden. Cool on a baking rack.
- Whilst the tarts are cooling, mix the icing sugar, 1 tbsp of the reserved (apple-less) jam and 1 tbsp double cream together to create an icing glaze. Add more jam or cream as needed to get the right consistency.
- Drizzle the icing mix over each pop tart, using a spoon, or a piping bag and nozzle.
- Let the icing dry, and serve the pop tarts warm.