10-Minute California Prune Mole
Recipe developed by Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD, CSSD, LDN
Makes: 4 (1/2 cup servings)Prep Time: 4-5 minutesCook Time: 5-6 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 425g can diced fire roasted tomatoes, not drained
- 1 tablespoon diced green Chillies, canned
- 12 California Prunes, halved
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of cloves
- Dash of cumin
- 2 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil until golden brown then add tomatoes, California Prunes, orange juice, cocoa powder and spices.
- Cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor and purée until smooth.
- Garnish with sesame seeds.
Serve over chicken, pork, turkey or tofu.