Using California Prune bits adds a nice, sweet and chewy texture to this dish, California Prunes bring out more of the chocolate flavours providing a unique and flavourful combination.
Recipe created by Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD, CSSD, LDN, for the California Prune Board (www.californiadriedplums.org)
Makes: 64Prep Time: 15 minCook Time: 1 1/2 min
- 2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup California Prune bits
- 1 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup almond butter
- 2/3 cup honey
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon grated orange peel
1. Combine cereal, oats, almonds, California Prune bits, chocolate chips, and in a large bowl; mix well
2. In a microwave-safe bowl, stir together almond butter, honey, cinnamon and orange peel. Microwave on HIGH for 90 seconds or until bubbling. Stir well and add to dry ingredients, mixing until well blended.
3. Shape into 1-inch balls and place on a baking sheet or shape for ice trays. Chill for at least one hour, then store in the refrigerator or freezer to keep firm.
Yield: 64 bites
Total Fat: 4.2 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 11 grams
Sugar: 6.6 grams
Dietary fibre: 1.4 grams
Protein: 1.6 grams
Sodium: 8 mg