Citrus Breakfast Toast
Looking for a new way to enjoy in-season citrus fruits? This simple and delicious breakfast toast is loaded with antioxidants that can help to improve your immunity!
Makes: 2 Prep Time: 8 minsCook Time: 2 mins
- 1 large or 2 small citrus fruit, peels and piths removed with a knife, sliced into rounds
- 1.5 tablespoons raw sugar
- 2 slices whole grain sourdough bread toasted to desired darkness
- 4 tablespoons sunflower butter
- 2 tablespoons prune puree recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 2 California Prunes finely diced
For the Brûléed Citrus Wheels:
Place the citrus wheels on a heat-proof surface (like a baking sheet) and add a small amount of sugar to the top of each piece.
Using a circular motion, pass the flame of a culinary torch repeatedly over the sugar until it boils and turns lightly charred and amber.
*Alternately, use a broiler set on high to caramelize the sugar.
To build the toast:
Spread 2 tablespoons of sunflower butter on each warm piece of whole-grain toasted sourdough bread. Top with 1 tablespoon prune puree, spread evenly across the sunflower butter. Sprinkle half of the diced prunes and sunflower seeds over top. Arrange half the broiled citrus on top and serve immediately.