Chipotle Pork Stew with California Prunes
Slow simmering lets the pork absorb the complex flavours of chiles, orange and spices. California Prunes and an array of vegetables add the finishing touch.
Makes: 6Prep Time: 15 minCook Time: 1 hour, 15 min.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 900g well-trimmed boneless pork shoulder, in 1.5-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 800g diced tinned tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 to 2 canned chipotle chilles (in adobo sauce), finely chopped,
- adobo sauce reserved from chillies
- 2 medium potatoes cut into 1.5 inch pieces
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 cup (about 170g) halved pitted California Prunes
- In large Dutch oven or saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add pork; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add onion, garlic, salt, cumin, cinnamon and thyme; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add tomatoes, orange juice, chipotle chiles and 1 to 2 tablespoons of the reserved adobo sauce; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes and carrots; simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in California Prunes; simmer 10 additional minutes or until pork and vegetables are tender.
|PERCENTAGE CALORIES FROM FAT||30|